Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Great Amazing Library

And then I go and worship The Library.  Ah The Library.  I get giddy when I think of Her.  No membership fee.  Encouraging behavior like taking out THREE books at once that you couldn't possibly read before they are overdue.

It's a bloody miracle that there is a place in the world where they don't have hidden costs and is open to every social and economic demographic.  With free internet (Love ya, coffee bar, but someone has been sitting in that chair for so long that it has his body scent. ). And they let you rent movies for free as long as you aren't late (Got to admire chutzpah to charge a buck a day....no one messes with The Librarian!).  In just about every town in the country.

Sometimes I will go there just to pretend that I am shopping again.  Looking at all of the lovely choices.  Feeling the same way about books as I felt about shoes. And coffee beans.  Wandering the aisles taking in the sensation that there is no rush at The Library.  As long as it isn't closing time and I don't have a child in tow, I can lurk and loiter in a public place without any legal repercussion. If I lean over a book in my lap and don't snore, I can maybe get some sleep if they can't prove that I am not actually reading.  They even have discounted and/or free museum passes at some of them so that you can loiter in other public places.  All the while leaving the utilities off at home.  Not only making The Library free...making it profitable!

Today, I found out there is a new Christopher Moore book that has been released.  I love buying Christopher Moore books.   But I can't do afford to purchase it in a book store.  So I will go to my noblenet.com and order it from The Library where The Librarians will hunt it down for you if The Library Branch doesn't have it (same for DVDs).  And they will call me when it arrives and say, "Hey, come get your free temporary brand spanking new book! Just like the new ones in the store but covered in mylar and stamps!" And I get to read it!  Then I will look at the inside cover price and say, "Some day, I will give you royalties, Christopher Moore.  Some day.  But today, I still get to enjoy you and save 1/4 of my YMCA membership fee." And  I don't mind giving it back when I am done.  Because The Library is also a kind public institution....an oxymoron even.....and will let me take it out as many times as I want.



http://www.publiclibraries.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment